Humanities freshmen host annual Gallery Night

Photo taken by Lindsay Chu

On Dec. 21, 2022, Poolesville High School’s Humanities freshmen hosted this year’s gallery night event. The group of 60 students were challenged with the task of responding to this year’s theme: “Dreams and Nightmares.” The freshmen were tasked to produce a creative project displaying their individual interpretations of the theme in a way that was relevant to them. In addition to the display of their pieces, the students were responsible for hosting and creating their desired ambiance, flyers, invitations, and the overall layout.

Upon entrance, the transformation of the hall through the falcon foyer into a walkable art gallery was visible. The art mediums on display varied from paintings and 3D art to assemblages and installations. 

“There were so many pieces that impressed me, and the range of media students used was a delight to see,” said head of humanities house Ms. Jennifer Marks. “The students were not afraid to take risks.”

In shifts, the students presented their weeks of hard work to guests of family, friends, and fellow falcons. Although students were all given the same theme to work with, the directional choices taken within the group were endless. Many chose to artistically express an emotion or common experience. Placed in the center setting of the layout, amongst other 3D pieces was an assemblage entitled “Overflowing Fantasies” by freshmen Melanie Guo. 

“I often find myself engulfed by my own imagination,” said Guo. “Overwhelmed with my ideas, unable to contain the scattered thoughts. I tried to materialize this frustrating feeling in this 3D art piece.” 

Taking a different approach, freshmen Isabella Rincon-Noble created a mixed-media sculpture out of clay, acrylic paint, and styrofoam. She expressed how she used the elements of her sculpture to symbolize the individual pieces of society and the complexity of the human experience. 

“What inspired my piece here was actually my dislike of the Gallery Night theme,” said Rincon-Noble. “People’s experiences are too complex to be limited to the binary nature of this theme.” 

Some pieces looked to isolate and exemplify a specific feeling. Near the auditorium entrance, stood an interactive piece being presented in which participants could step inside a small, dark, space constructed from PVC piping, cardboard and drapery. This creation was designed by freshmen Avery Savino. 

“My piece is about capturing the feeling of presenting in front of a room of people where everything around you sort of goes silent, the feeling of isolation,” said Savino.