The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

New school in use after spring break

306 Views
Entry+way+into+Poolesville+High+School+from+the+students+parking+lot.+
Brooklyn Hornyak
Entry way into Poolesville High School from the students parking lot.

Rumors that we will move into the new building after spring break were confirmed on January 14th, 2024 in the weekly message. Acting principal Mr. Ryan Graves wrote that PHS students will get an extra day at the beginning and end of spring break to allow for teachers to pack and move their belongings into their new classrooms.

According to the MoCo Show, Poolesville High School was originally built in 1953, which makes the original building 71 years old. The new school began construction in 2022 and the end date is predicted to be December 2024-January 2025, however, there have already been multiple delays. There was an initial setback when workers began to find out that most of the school was located atop a lot of stone. The tarring incident in February of 2023 caused a delay and Poolesville closed for a day because the intensity of the fumes was making a vast majority of students feel sick. 

English teacher Mr. Gilbert Cooper said, “The smell of tar when the workers are doing construction on the roof is a deal breaker for me.”

For part of his day, Cooper teaches in rooms 60 and 61 which are right on the other side of the fake wall by where the globe used to be. He says that it can get fairly loud but he doesn’t find it too distracting and students can push through and remain focused.

Cooper says he is looking forward to “Having more space, having more than one faculty restroom, having a better classroom, and the overall allure of just being in something new.”

With the $60.2 million budget, the new building is expected to be able to hold 1,800 students and be a major change compared to what the Poolesville community has known for so many years, according to VMDO architects. Renovations that can be expected include new classrooms, courtyards, a covered dining area, a detached greenhouse, a vegetated roof area, and stormwater management.

Each house of the magnet program will have its own “hub” around the school where there will be classrooms for classes special to that house will take place, in addition to a common area in the center.

Principal Mark Carothers said, “I could not be more excited to have a physical environment that accurately reflects and matches the amazing teaching and learning that occurs at PHS each and every day.  Our students, staff, and families deserve this top-notch, state-of-the-art facility.” 

The future front of PHS is still being worked on for moving in spring 2024. (Brooklyn Hornyak)

According to Carothers, after spring break we will be moving into parts of the new building that the construction team has been working on thus far including the auxiliary gym, academic wing, fine arts wing, main office, and counseling offices. The number of portables will decrease from 14 portables to around six. 

Another major renovation will include that of a new gym. The aux gym will be able to host volleyball and wrestling next winter season, but as of right now, there will be no home basketball games for the 2024-2025 season. Carothers realizes that there have been a lot of short-term inconveniences but says that it will result in long-term gain.