The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

New building in use after spring break

130 Views
Brooklyn Hornyak

Following Spring Break, on April 3, students and staff will occupy Phase 1 of the new building. Staff has packed up their belongings to be moved to the new building. After the move, the old building will no longer be in use.

English teacher Melissa Adams is the staff representative of the School Construction Information Team where her role is to communicate with staff and bring any of their concerns to the team and get information. 

“My biggest concern is I worry people are going to think everything is going to be normal immediately. I want people to understand it will take time to get used to it and not let it demonize the fact we got a new school,” Adams said. 

The day that students return from spring break is the first day they have access to the building. There are maps located on Synergy if needed. 

“For the first three days, there will be a grace period for tardiness to give everyone a chance to learn how to navigate the new building. We will have an advisory period to review the map, and other resources available,” Principal Mark Carothers said.

In the new building, there will be no cafeteria, gym, or Media Center. The Media Center will be located in a portable outside of the building. 

As of now, students occupy portables during instructional periods meaning there is a walk from the building to the portables. After the move, the entire building will be connected with the exception of the media center. No students will be outside unless it is for a PE class, or the media center. 

In the construction of the new building, there was the creation of four brand new “hubs” each representing Global, SMCS, Humanities, and ISP. These hubs will contain a sink, a microwave, and lounge furniture to provide students with a comfortable area to study in when applicable. These hubs will act as a substitute for the cafeteria while it is being built. 

“I really like that there are more gathering spaces for large groups and that there is a space to block for each house.” Adams said. 

In an interview with the Principal Carothers, he stated that these hubs are an intentional choice in order to celebrate each house. The ISP hub is decorated with black and gold rather than purple in order to celebrate the fact that it is their home school. Carothers had concerns that these hubs would further divide each house from one another but he ultimately feels the new building will “cause reconnection of staff and students regardless of their house.” 

“I am excited and ready to start a new chapter at Poolesville,” junior Brianna McLeggon said.