The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

Featured Falcon: Ravi Iyer Best Delegate and Diplomacy in the Disaster Relief Committee Award Recipient

Featured Falcon:  Ravi Iyer Best Delegate and Diplomacy in the Disaster Relief Committee Award Recipient

How long have you been a part of the Model UN club at Poolesville?

I joined Model UN at the start of my sophomore year, so I have been a part of the MUN club for around 1.5 years.

What inspired you to join Model UN?

My friends encouraged me to join, and after I went to one meeting, I found myself enjoying the public speaking aspect of MUN. After realizing that, I decided to stick around and see where my MUN journey would take me, and it eventually led me here.

What is your role in the club?

I am one of the 2 deputy secretaries within the club, and we, alongside the rest of the team, make presentations for the students and go to the various competitions.

What are the awards that you won?

I won the best delegate and best diplomacy awards at our recent American University Model United Nations Conference (AMERIMUNC).

What did you do in order to win those awards?

In order to win these awards, I had to fill in a leadership role during the conference. This means that I had to encourage teamwork among the other delegates and make sure everyone’s ideas were heard. I also had to tell the other delegates my ideas and ensure that my ideas were being used in everyone’s resolution of the main problem. It was more of making sure everyone had a say in the resolution than commanding the group on what to do, which contributed to my winning the 2 awards.

What is your favorite aspect of being involved in Model UN?

My favorite aspect of being in MUN is the meeting new people aspect of it. For example, at the AMERIMUN conference, there were people who flew in from Portugal, Italy, France, and even Spain, and making new connections with them was an exciting experience! It is always nice to see new cultures and meet new people, which is what MUN is all about!

Is diplomacy something you plan to pursue further after high school?

I personally want to pursue something business-related or biology-related (I have not decided for sure yet), however, I know that the public speaking abilities I gained from MUN will come in handy somewhere along my professional career! Diplomacy is a key characteristic in most jobs, considering collaboration with other individuals is necessary for success.