The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

Featured Falcon: Brainy Akpala

Featured Falcon: Brainy Akpala

What inspired you to write your poem?

Lately I’ve been focused on political activism through my writing, so this particular piece I’m performing on Sunday is about one of our nation’s most prevalent issues, gun violence in schools. In order to underscore its importance I use other instances of violence in our nation’s past, to draw a line between how though the decade has changed our predisposition to violence has not. By the end of the poem I urge the nation to make a change so that the next generation changes the pattern of violence. 

How long have you been writing poetry?

I have been writing poetry since 7th grade

What did you have to do to be featured in the ACT-SO Poetry Read-in?

I have been a part of the ACT-SO program since freshman year when I became a silver medalist for their short story competition . Since then I’ve been fortunate enough to be invited to different events with influential people in our community to perform my pieces.

Do you have any influences in your poetry?

Some of my influences include looking at problems outside my bubble and honing in on the human experience that occurs beyond my sheltered life. In terms of other authors, I draw inspiration from poets like Amanda Gormon, who though young was able to impact the whole nation with her words. 

What is your favorite part about poetry?

I like how you can get a point across or make someone empathize with your sentiments in a compilation of short lines and stanzas. On the other hand, I also like how it encourages reading between the lines, allowing for a multitude of interpretations based on what resonates with the reader. 

Is poetry something you plan to continue going forward?

Yes it is something I hope to continue in the future, I even started the Spoken Word and Poetry Club here at Poolesville to keep encouraging myself and others to write.