Featured Falcon: Junior SGA Vice President Anusha Krishnan finances student advocacy projects

Anusha Krishnan is a junior in Global who has served as a student representative on local, county, and state levels since 6th grade. She is currently the Treasurer of MCR-SGA, the countywide SGA for MCPS high schoolers, and has launched the grant program to provide stipends to local student organizations benefiting the community. 

What sparked your interest in student advocacy?

I joined in sixth grade on a whim and I enjoyed the community of Clemente student leaders that I met such as Hana Olooney and Janely Sanchez, that I decided to stick with it. Connecting with students opened my eyes to issues in the county that we don’t usually see. 

How did you first get involved in local advocacy? 

I first heard about MCJC (county middle school SGA) in sixth grade, and I had no idea what it was. My friend Shairee became the president in 7th grade and encouraged me to try it out and I am so glad I did. My school also had opportunities I wanted to expand to more students. I also attended the MASC convention with statewide advocates and that inspired me to get involved on a larger scale. 

What led you to run for MCR Treasurer?

I was the MASC Service Coordinator and had been involved in MCR since freshman year and that taught me the importance of mobilizing student efforts. I spoke with the former treasurer, Maahe, who wanted to expand awareness of the Grant Program, which is hardly taken advantage of. We’re rolling out grant applications to get on track for the second semester. I wanted to get involved in the organization of MCR to expand this awesome opportunity. 

What is the most challenging aspect of running for office?

Campaigning is difficult, and it can be hard to stay confident in yourself. There’s a lot of behind-the-scenes work people don’t see. Researching, reaching out to as many people as possible, and visiting schools can be nerve-wracking. 

What is the most rewarding aspect of running for office?

I felt proud of myself for getting through the whole process, and even happier for the outcome. Ultimately, you get to be a part of something larger and meet new people. It’s exciting to see MCR grow since we’ve built a community and people are getting to know each other as friends and not just as advocates. 

What responsibilities does your position as MCR Treasurer entail? 

I’m the Treasurer and the Director of the newly created Finance & Service Department. They work hand-in-hand and give back to the community. I oversee the grant program, which we are launching soon and keep track of the budget with our advisor, Ms. Cherry. We coordinate a monthly project for the Service Department to organize volunteering opportunities and inance helps with our merchandise (which is out now!) and outreach. 

What is something you wish you knew before you began your advocacy journey?

The power of the student voice cannot be overstated. We advocated for the Maryland Blueprint, for example, and it got passed by the General Assembly. There are so many opportunities to enact real change that takes interest. You pick up skills along the way, you just have to get involved in what you’re interested in. 

What would you say to students who’ve never participated in advocacy who would like  get involved?

Getting involved with your school’s SGA is a great way to get started. MCR and MCJC Executive Board meetings are open to the public! You’ll always find a group of people you can connect with and find common ground in experiences. We bond over the change we want to see and you’ll have so many opportunities to have your voice heard. Follow our instagram, @mcrsga, to stay up to date with our upcoming opportunities!