Students take charge of organizing National English Honor Society

Image from NEHS website

The new National English Honor Society (NEHS) has been introduced at Poolesville High School due to the efforts of students. SMCS senior Adhya Parna and Humanities senior Sara Shibu played large roles in the creation of this society.

Poolesville High School is home to many different honor societies such as National Honor Society (NHS), Mu Alpha Theta, and National Art Honor Society, all of which have been active throughout the 2022-2023 school year. NEHS has been created to encourage leadership and social responsibility. The official roles of the honor society are to be determined with the members during the first meeting, but the overall plan is to meet once a month and do a variety of activities such as tutor students, hold book drives, guide literature circles, hold college essay workshops. There is no final decision made about whether there will be other officer positions but Parna and Shibu currently hold President positions. Students in 11th and 12th grade who are interested in furthering their passion for English are encouraged to apply. 

Parna and Shibu reached out to Resource teacher Lisa Marshall during June of the 2021-2022 school year in order to inquire about the existence of an English Honor Society at Poolesville High School. They had both sent emails relatively close to one another so Marshall suggested that they get together and help take charge in the creation of one. Marshall advocated for English teacher Clayton Traver to be the sponsor of the society. 

“I have always loved English class since I love to compose and read poetry,” said Parna. “And I’m confident that many other Poolesville kids also have the same adoration for language arts and classic literature.” 

The requirements for entry into the society were decided upon by Parna, Shibu, and Traver. They made these requirements using research having to do with recommendations of entry that other honor societies have. The finalized requirements for the society include having a 3.0 average in their English classes, having taken an English elective class, and submitting a writing sample in order to ensure the student has effective and creative writing. NEHS has recruited 40 members so far, accepting the majority of applicants. Applications are still open and new members are currently being accepted.

The overall goal of the honor society is to create a place for students who have an interest in English and literature to discuss reading and writing with other students who care equally about these subjects while also giving back to the community through English language.

“I hope to create a space where students can create their own plans for learning and exploration of English literature,” said Traver. “I hope students can collaborate to improve their own skills with reading, writing, and analysis.”

NHS Vice President of Communications Sara Stanley expressed her beliefs on the benefits of honor societies. 

“Honor societies at Poolesville have helped me find a community where I’m able to give back to those at the school and participate in many community service events,” said Stanley. “I’ve been a lot more involved at PHS as a whole.”