The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

Tri-State Area Experiences Earthquake, Learning to Cope

251 Views
Creator: smodj | Credit: Getty Images

On April 5, a 4.8 magnitude earthquake struck the Northeast, with tremors felt from DC, Maine, and New York. It was the third largest earthquake recorded in the area within the last 50 years, according to a CNN article, and the strongest in New Jersey in the last 240 years. 

Although it caused no major widespread damage, it was an area unaccustomed to quakes. Many residents initially believed it was a freight train or tractor-trailer before realizing it was something larger. The NYPD confirmed no damage or injuries, and all residents were able to return to their normal work shortly after. However, towns in New Jersey began to report structural issues to local law enforcement, leading to multiple evacuations of residential and commercial buildings.

The earthquake occurred at around 10:23 am, with residents receiving an alert of potential aftershocks. Three homes in Newark, New Jersey, were evacuated following the earthquake. New York City’s Department of Buildings conducted an inspection and found cracks in the gymnasium of a Brooklyn school, and issued a vacate order. According to the U.S Geological Survey, the epicenter of the earthquake was approximately located 40 miles southwest of Manhattan, New York.

On April 10, 2024, the aftershock hit New Jersey before reaching Long Island and Connecticut, resulting in a series of further shaking. According to the United States Geological Survey, more than 40 aftershocks have occurred since April 5, 2024, with the greatest magnitude reaching 3.8. The most recent aftershock was reported to be about three miles deep.

“We can’t predict specifically how long aftershocks will last or when they will happen. They will happen for weeks or even months,” United States Geological Survey geophysicist Paul Caruso told CNN in an interview. “But as time goes on, they will be less frequent and lower magnitude.”

Following the shock, officials from the United States Geological Survey reminded the public that in the event of an earthquake – should it happen again – it is important to drop to the floor and cover the neck to prevent serious injury.