The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

2024 Masters Tees Off

Get this image on: iStock | License details
Creator: D. Lentz
Get this image on: iStock | License details Creator: D. Lentz

The 2024 Masters is the 88th edition of the Masters Tournament. The first of the four men’s golf major tournaments teed off on April 11 at 7:30 AM in Augusta, Georgia, U.S. Entering the tournament, American Scottie Scheffler is looking for his second Masters win in two years and is the overwhelming favorite to win the whole tournament, whereas Spanish golfer Jon Rahm is defending the green jacket as the reigning champ. Additionally, Northern Irish golfer Rory Mcilroy is hoping to complete his career grand slam (winning all four of the major golf tournaments) and five-time Masters champion Tiger Woods is making a return. Going into today, Scheffler leads the odds with +400 odds to win, while McIlroy +1100 and Rahm +1200 round out the top three favorites. The Masters is held at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta Georgia every year, the only major golf championship that is always held at the same golf course. The course is 7,555 yards long with 72 holes. 

Reigning champion Rahm is attempting to be the fourth-ever player to win back-to-back Masters. Before, the only players to win back-to-back Masters have been Jack Nicklaus (1965-66), Nick Faldo (1989-90),  and Tiger Woods (2001-02). Rahm is going into this year’s Masters with +1200 odds, the third-best to win the tournament. 

Along with having the best odds to win the tournament, Scheffler also has an outside distraction during the tournament. Scheffler’s wife, Meredith Scheffler, is pregnant with their first child. Meredith is supposed to be due “sometime in April”, and maybe during the tournament. When interviewed about this event, Scheffler said he would withdraw from the Masters and stated “I’ll be out of here”. 

Furthermore, to continue tradition, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, and Tom Watson will be the former champions/distinguished golfers designated to hit the honorary tee shot on the morning of the first round to begin play.