The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

Oil and Liquid Asphalt Tankers Catch Fire

Creator: BogdanV | Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

On March 14, around 11:30 am, a large fire erupted in the Rockville quarry when two trucks carrying motor oil and liquid asphalt caught on fire, creating a thick cloud of black smoke in surrounding areas. A code yellow was issued and Travilah residents were urged to take precautions and stay inside with windows closed.

Because the trucks had petroleum, the fire couldn’t be extinguished with water; officials had to use foam and other means to smother the fire – it was reported that foam crash trucks from Dulles Airport were used to help with extinguishing efforts. Hazmat teams worked to shut off natural gas lines that were feeding the fire. There were reportedly 75 firefighters present at the scene, keeping a safe distance from the fire while still working to put it out in a timely manner. In addition to the firefighters, there were also representatives with gas and power companies present to aid and service the area. 

By 4 pm, vehicles seen on Sky9 appeared to have been dumping dirt on the flames. Montgomery County Fire said that their team was waiting for foam to arrive, but the dirt would likely be enough to start smothering the remaining flames. 

The fire was finally extinguished at 6 pm, although it had initially started before 11:45 am. No injuries were reported, and workers were evacuated in the emergency. Officials stated in a news conference that it is unclear what started the fire. Even before the fire was put out, billowing smoke could be seen for miles surrounding. 

Fire officials reported “there is no danger to the immediate communities,” and further went on to say that the fire was contained in the quarry. No evacuation or shelter-in-place was issued.

Pete Piringer, Chief Spokesperson for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service, provided an update at a press conference.

“This was a fairly remote area on a very large industrial complex,” said Piringer. “No homes were in danger of any fire or explosion. We did monitor the smoke conditions and our advice to the residents was treat this as a bad pollution day.”

The quarry began in 1944 with paving materials, providing construction and excavation services to local communities. They have not provided any comment to local agencies.