The student run newspaper of Poolesville High School

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

2024 NFL Honors

2024 NFL Honors
Wikimedia

The 2024 NFL Honors was a very anticipated event, with many analysts still determining who would get what award. On February 8th the NFL Honors event was held in Las Vegas and there were multiple surprises across the board. Lamar Jackson from the Ravens won the MVP with 3,678 total yards, 24 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, and a 64.7 QBR. The MVP race was between Jackson and 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy after the Ravens defeated the 49ers on December 25th, many thought the MVP was going Jackson’s way. 

Christian McCaffery from the 49ers won the Offensive Player of the Year with 272 carries, 1,459 yards, 14 touchdowns, and an average of 5.4 yards per carry. McCaffery led one of the NFL’s top offenses to a Super Bowl appearance.  McCaffery beat out Dolphins star wideout Tyreek Hill as the Offensive Player of the Year after Hill failed to reach 2,000 receiving yards. 

Myles Garrett from the Browns won the Defensive Player of the Year with 33 solo tackles, 14 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery. The Browns’ star linemen beat out the Steelers’ star defensive edge TJ Watt although TJ Watt had better stats throughout the season. Watt ended the season with 15 more solo tackles, 5 more sacks, and the same amount of forced fumbles and one interception. 

CJ Stroud from the Texans won the Offensive Rookie of the Year as he had 4,108 yards, 23 touchdowns, 5 interceptions,  and a 57.4 QBR. CJ Stroud had big shoes to fill as the Texans drafted him with the second overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft and made him the day 1 starter. The Texans star beat out the Rams standout rookie receiver Puka Nacua who finished the season with 105 receptions, 1,486 receiving yards, 6 touchdowns, and an average of 14.2 yards per catch. Nacua was a fifth-round selection by Los Angeles in the 2023 draft. 

Joe Flacco from the Browns won the Comeback Player of the Year where he put up 1,616 yards, 13 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, and a 48.2 QBR. Flacco put up these stats in only five starts and beat out Damar Hamlin who had his miraculous comeback from last year but didn’t do much to help his team this year. 

Kevin Stefanski won Coach of the Year this year, giving the Cleveland Browns 3 NFL Honors winners. This year was Stefanski’s 4th year as the Browns coach, and through the years he has had 2 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons, this year ending the Browns season with an 11-6 record and a playoff appearance where they couldn’t beat the Texans.