The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

NBA All-Star game

Flicker

The 2024 NBA All-Star game is set for February 18, in Indiana. The 73rd annual All-Star game has various controversial picks and votes, including many fan-favorite players being excluded. Sacramento Kings players Domantas Sabonis and De’Aaron Fox were both not picked in this year’s All-Star game despite both players averaging over 20 points and having the 5th best record in the Western Conference. Additionally, Atlanta Hawks star point guard Trae Young was not selected despite leading the league in total assists and being the runner-up for assists per game. 

It is also notable that two of the players selected for the All-Star game currently are injured, those players being leading MVP and scoring title candidate Joel Embiid, with a meniscus injury, from the Philadelphia 76ers and New York Knicks power forward Julius Randle. Additionally, Joel Embiid may be removed from MVP contention due to the number of games he will miss this season due to previous and current injuries. Both of these players play in the Eastern Conference and must be replaced by other players in their conference, meaning that selections are not final.

This is the first All-Star game in the last 6 years to use the East vs West format, rather than having one player select any player from the league to be on their team. This year’s All-Star game features all of its players scoring over 20  points per game, indicating the leagues increasing amount of talent. Many fans and analysts are now considering expanding the number of players who are selected for the All-Star game due to this. Along with the All-Star game, there are many other events during All-Star weekend, including the NBA Rising Stars game on February 16, the Celebrity game also on the 16th, and a 3-point shooting contest between WNBA star Sabrina Ionescu and perennial NBA All-Star Stephen Curry.