The student run newspaper of Poolesville High School

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

MCPS Video Contest

Justine Bagasbas

Students from Montgomery County are encouraged to participate in video contests to promote safe habits, collect SSL hours, and win prize money. Two video contests are now live, including the Keeping It Safe Student Video Contest from the Keeping it Safe Coalition, and the Choose Respect Video Contest. 

Keeping It Safe Student Video Contest:

The Keeping it Safe (KIS) Coalition works to deter underage alcohol use and reduce youth access to alcohol. This year, the coalition encouraged Montgomery County students to create a 30 second public service announcement of one of three topics on the risks and dangers of under 21 alcohol use. These topics include standing up to peer pressure, supporting friends who abuse alcohol, and explaining how alcohol affects mental health. This contest is open to teams of two or more students. Prizes range from $1,000 for first place winners to $100 for honorable mentions, as well as five available SSL hours for completing the project. Video contest entries are due March 31, 2024 by 4:00 PM. 

Visit https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/ABS/education/kis/ for more information.

Choose Respect Video Contest:

The Choose Respect Video Contest encourages students to work either individually or as a group to create a video on one of three topics relating to relationship abuse. These topics include abuse awareness, healthy relationships, and bystander intervention. Cash prizes are available for the top three winners, as well as 10 SSL hours. Video contest entries are due Feb 11, 2024. The winning videos will be presented at RespectFest on April 7, 2024.

Visit https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/fjc/chooserespect/video.html for more information.