The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

House Expels New York Rep. George Santos for Ethics Violations

istock image

On Friday, Dec 1, 2023, the House of Representatives voted 311-114 to oust elected Representative George Santos, ending his eventful tenure during which he had been accused of several federal crimes, including wire fraud and money laundering. 11 months into his term, Santos admitted to fabricating parts of his resume but pleaded not guilty to the 23 federal charges.

The former lawmaker survived several attempts in the past to remove him; however, a withering ethics report was the last straw for members of the house. The report concluded that Santos was intending to “fraudulently exploit” his House candidacy for financial gain, spending campaign funds on personal trips to Las Vegas, OnlyFans subscriptions, and cosmetic treatments, including botox. 

Santos declared that he would not seek reelection after the report’s release but refused to resign from his position, leading to his forced removal by fellow representatives.

Since his expulsion from the House of Representatives, Santos has capitalized on his newfound publicity with his presence on Cameo, a platform where users pay public figures for personalized videos. Santos initially charged $75 per video but has since raised the price to $500. 

The House clerk is expected to assume control of Santos’ office after his expulsion and New York democratic governor Kathy Hochul will schedule an election to replace him in the near future. House rules stipulate that until there is a felony conviction, Santos keeps certain privileges as a former member of Congress, including access to the House floor, dining room, gym and cloakroom but not security.