The student run newspaper of Poolesville High School

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

The Poolesville Pulse

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce Relationship grabs NFL Attention

Travis+Kelce+and+Taylor+Swifts+relationship+draws+in+major+media+attention.+
shutterstock
Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift’s relationship draws in major media attention.

The new relationship between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce sparked publicity after her first appearance at the Chiefs game on Sept 24, 2023. 

According to NFL.com, after her first appearance, the Chiefs-Jets game accumulated an average of nearly 27 million viewers in which NBC Sports said made it the most-watched Sunday TV show since the Chiefs beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl this past February. 

“I think I like Travis a lot more now that he’s with Taylor,” said Taylor Swift fan sophomore Zoe Hornyak.

NFL.com revealed the audience grew 24 percent over a span for women’s ages 18-24, and 34 percent for women 35 or older. This resulted in more than 2 million additional female viewers due to the ongoing Taylor Swift phenomenon. 

“I think Taylor definitely gave Travis more hype but I think he was on the map before her,” said Hornyak. 

According to ESPN.com, there was nearly a 400 percent spike in sales throughout the Fanatics network of sites, including NFL’s shop on the same day that Swift was seen watching the Chiefs play the Bears alongside Kelce’s mother from a glass-enclosed suite. 

While all this attention on their relationship has caused an increase in publicity, it has sparked some controversy regarding the commentators. In his and his brother’s recent podcast “New Heights”, Travis Kelce agreed with the idea that NFL TV coverage has been “overdoing it” with the amount of times Taylor Swift has been on screen while attending his games. 

“I think it’s fine if they show Taylor swift once during the game but when the commentators bring her up multiple times and keep showing her it gets a little bit annoying,” said football fan senior Luke Grossnickle. 

The NFL said they are “loving their relationship for publicity reasons”, but it seems as though it is more than just publicity. 

Kelce and Swift were seen out on multiple occasions outside of the football field. Swift and Kelce were seen holding hands on a solo night out in New York dining at Waverly Inn. Both were featured on SNL and were seen leaving Studio 8H together making headlines on multiple platforms. 

Just this past week Taylor publicized their relationship by changing the lyrics of her song to “karma is the guy on the Chiefs” while Travis was in attendance. Fans caught video of Swift running to Kelce and planting a kiss on him after her show in Argentina on Nov. 12, 2023. Kelce was seen with her father for the duration of the show singing and dancing to her songs. 

“Their relationship is fun and interesting, it adds spice to both the football and the music world.” said senior football and Taylor Swift fan Jack Loftus.

View Comments (1)