Students with parents at PHS: Invested in building a strong community

At Poolesville High School, there are many students that also have parents in the building. This can sometimes be challenging for the students and parents but they have learned to co-exist in a school environment. 

There are many students with parents as teachers at PHS with most living locally in the Poolesville community. There are a few outliers with some living out of the Poolesville cluster. 

The idea of having a normal school experience while seeing your kid every day is important. 

“I try to give him as much space as possible so I don’t see him much during the day,” said science teacher Ms. Terese Robichaud. 

As Mr. Timothy Short, who is in the unique position of having taught both of his daughters NSL classes said, it was surprising how little he sees his daughters out of class.

“I don’t see my kids very often outside of class,” said Short. “It is nice because they know if they need something I am right here.” 

This sentiment was echoed by Ben Savino, who often only sees his dad once a day. Sometimes people do not realize that Ben is science teacher Mr. Daniel Savino’s son and that can lead to interesting things being said. 

“It is pretty funny whenever I hear people talking about how they either like or dislike my dad,” B. Savino said. 

Being a part of the same community is important, with Mr. Short, Ms. Robichaud, and B. Savino all saying that they love having their kid or parent at school. 

“I have loved being a part of my local community,” said Ms. Robichaud. “When I taught in Virginia I also taught in my community and I loved it.” 

Connecting to the community sometimes extends in ways you don’t expect. B. Savino pointed out that the school community also can creep into his own life. 

“I find it strange because sometimes my dad will have his teacher friends over for dinner and I see them outside of school,” said B. Savino.

Despite the challenges or strange circumstances which may be caused by going to work with one’s child or school with one’s parents, there are certainly benefits which come with it.

“It has been nice because, unlike other students that come from other areas, this is always felt like my daughters’ school community, they grew up knowing Poolesville was their high school,” said Mr. Short.