The student run newspaper of Poolesville High School
Senior captain and center Erin Green keeps her focus in a game against Blake. Photo courtesy of Erin Green.

Girls basketball dominates 2A divison, looks for an undefeated season

PHS’s girls varsity basketball team remains undefeated at this point in the season, sitting at 13-0, at the top of Division 2A. The Falcons have dominated competition this season, taking their game on Jan. 2nd against Northwest High School by a score of 58-15, and outscoring Rockville High School 63-19 on Jan. 8th. In their latest game, they beat Watkins Mill High School 68-17.

Frederick County’s Middletown High School is the only other team in the 2A division matching PHS’s winning streak at a 12-0 record. Queen Anne’s County High School sits at a record of 10-0. Washington Post’s AllMets recently ranked PHS as sixth in the region, following four private schools and one public school.

They have scored upwards of 60 points in 9 of 13 games this winter, exceeding 70 points in two of them. The team has had virtually no down-to-the-wire games, with their smallest point differential being 14 points against Walt Whitman High School. Over their past three games, against Rockville High School, James Hubert Blake High School, and Watkins Mill, PHS has won by a combined margin of 140 points.

“Our chemistry both on and off the court has made us so successful this year,” senior center and captain Erin Green states, noting that all of the senior starters played club basketball together in the summer.
“We know how to play together and what our strengths and weaknesses are,” Green adds.

The Opening Round of the 2018 MPSSAA Girls Basketball State Championships are set to begin late February, and the team anticipates fresh competition as PHS Athletics has moved from Division 3A to 2A. New Town High School won the Division 2A championship in 2017. PHS was eliminated by Manchester Valley High School with a score of 53-34 in the third round, out of six, last season.

The Falcons have 11 games remaining on their schedule, and team members have expressed a very positive outlook on the rest of their season.

Junior guard Kalie Terragno states that, “[She is] very confident in completing an undefeated season.”

This year is not the girls varsity basketball’s first winning streak, as the team finished 21-4 over their 25 games in the 2016-2017 season. Since 2015, the team has completed their season with at least 20 wins and have not finished below 500 wins since 2010. An undefeated season for PHS has not occured in the past decade of recorded data.

The team’s next game is on Friday, January 19th, against Seneca Valley High School who currently hold a 5-5 record.

Comments (0)

All The Poolesville Pulse Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *