Donald+Trumps+tweet+directed+at+North+Korea.+Photo+courtesy+of+Donald+Trumps+twitter.+

Donald Trump’s tweet directed at North Korea. Photo courtesy of Donald Trump’s twitter.

Trump tweet ignites response from North Korean leader

North Korea recently announced that a September 25th tweet by President Donald Trump officially declared war on the North Korea. The tweet stated that North Korean leader “Kim Jong Un… won’t be around for much longer,” igniting multiple responses from the country Trump was taking aim at. A day after the tweet, a North Korean foreign minister stated that the country believes that war had been declared on the East Asian country by the American president, and that “US bombers in [any] airspace will be shot down.”

The White House quickly responded with the most straightforward and obvious message that they could have released: “We have not declared war on North Korea.”

Although this appeared to resolve the issue, President Trump began to refer to Kim Jong Un as the ¨little Rocket Man¨ on Twitter for the coming days, heightening tensions between the two countries. These specific exchanges between the two countries led to the first formal contact between a North Korean leader and the United States in history. Kim Jong Un released a statement saying that he intends to ¨tame the mentally deranged US dotard,¨ a reference to President Trump.

Since the comments, no such action has been taken by either country towards or against war. The comical aspect of the situation lies in the realization that under Article 1 Section 8 of the United States Constitution, Congress is the sole body capable of declaring war on a foreign country, meaning that all of North Korea’s militant and angry messages in response to the President’s tweets were all for nought, and the event turns into yet another publicity frenzy that warrants no physical outcome. It appears that even in this modern time of tension between the United States and North Korea, the latter country still grasps for attention from a world that refuses to take it seriously.