Golf team tees up a great season

The Poolesville golf team, coached by Mrs. Hunsicker-Blair, competed in their last golf match on September 26th at Fall Road Golf Course vs. Damascus, Blake, and Einstein. They came out to play in their second to last match of the season, finishing second among the four teams. The team concluded their season finishing in front of 6 teams and behind 12 on the season. From their 6 matches, PHS Golf averaged a score of 192.83 strokes, ranking 15th among 24 teams across all three divisions.

Seniors Zachary Widenhofer and Dalton Webber tied for the best season averages on the team, among those who played all 6 matches. They both finished with an average of 47.5, and a season total of just 285 strokes. Other scoring leaders on the team include Seniors Perry Dominici and John Sartschev. Dominici averaged 48.4 on the season and Sartschev averaged 50.4. Widenhofer, one of the team’s co-captains, said he is “happy with how he played at districts,” after shooting a 94. Although disappointed due to not qualifying for states, he had fun throughout the season saying, “I always pumped myself up with Jimmy Dutton before the matches, listening to rap and inspirational speeches.” Dominici led the team at districts with a score of 92.

The team began practices in August, preparing for their matches, and have been working hard to be where they are now. After completing their final match on the 28th, the Golf team looks to next season as they now have wrapped up another successful season, Poolesville hosted the First Flight Tournament on the 16th of October. Many of the players have a positive outlook on next year, and can’t wait for next season to improve on their 2017 record.