PHS sees a new wave of staff members this year

Poolesville High School has experienced a “wave” of new staff members. With a few previous teachers retiring or taking jobs at other schools, many new staffers found their way to PHS for the start of the 2018-19 school year.

Teachers came to and left Poolesville for different reasons. New engineering and technology teacher Mr. David Hill noted that the environment at Poolesville is different than any other place, and is partially what drew him to the school.

“The general excitement of learning is infectious,” he said, speaking primarily of the attitude of students. Hill also talked about the fact that he often overhears academic conversations in the hallway. It’s this component, along with the setting in the library and in the classrooms, that makes the PHS environment “almost college-like.”

New staff members have filled spots in virtually every department and Magnet program. Three of the four houses (ISP, Humanities, and SMCS) have new heads of house. In addition to departments/magnet houses, administration saw changes in staff as well.  

The new staff turnover at Poolesville can be described best as “teacher turnover.” Teacher turnover is defined as the “rate at which personnel whose primary function is classroom teaching leave or separate from the district,” according to the Colorado Department of Education. Teacher turnover can be positive or negative to students, depending on the environment. After polling a random sample of the students at PHS from all grades and houses, it is evident that the new wave of staff has barely impacted the student body as a whole. While students indicated the new staff changes haven’t affected their school experience at all, or they haven’t noticed a change in staffing at PHS, some have seen a positive impact. Junior AJ Poore says he has “new teachers he likes,” noting a positive influence on his school year so far.