Town of Poolesville introduces Wellness Wednesdays

The Town of Poolesville has started a new initiative, Wellness Wednesdays, to help promote a healthy living for townspeople. The workshops and activities are scheduled to run once a month throughout the rest of 2018. They cover a variety of topics from overcoming addiction to exercise, eating habits, and living with diseases.
On Feb. 21 of this year, the first Wellness Wednesday workshop was held at the Town Hall. The workshop was entitled “Love Your Heart” and focused on strategies to promote heart health and prevent or manage heart diseases. The meeting was instructed by Leni Barry, a registered nurse who specializes in Cardiovascular Health and Wellness. Each discussion is taught by a variety of healthcare professionals to ensure the most educational and beneficial experiences for attendees.
Wellness Wednesday organizer and local resident Cathy Bupp highlights how she came about planning the series of workshops. “Originally, I was considering planning a ‘Workplace Wellness Program’ for the town, but I thought offering Health & Wellness seminars to the community would benefit many more people,” stated Bupp.
Wellness Wednesdays are not only being held in Poolesville, but through the country in locations such as the University of Maryland in Baltimore, SUNY Cortland in Cortland, New York, The University of Chicago Law School and Philadelphia. The growing popularity of Wellness Wednesdays have also hit the internet with websites putting out videos, blog posts, and guides with their tips on staying healthy both mentally and physically.
The programs are designed to “foster the development of healthy habits and lay the groundwork… to lead a balanced and healthy lifestyle.”
Organizers hope that participants not only learn valuable information, but directly apply it to their everyday lives in order to establish healthy habits that will last forever. Bupp’s plan is to “raise awareness, educate, and provide useful strategies to our residents for making positive lifestyle changes.” In addition, offering health & wellness seminars to residents will go help Poolesville achieve it’s certification as a sustainable Maryland community.
Seminars work towards helping members of the community become more healthy, confident, and resilient individuals. Upcoming seminars in Poolesville include topics such as Overcoming Addiction, Living with Lyme, Blood Pressure/Stroke Prevention, and Aging Safely in Place. All meetings are held at the Town Hall meeting room.
Every Wellness Wednesday workshop is open to people of all ages and everyone is strongly welcome to take part. If you are or know a healthcare professional interested in speaking, please contact Cathy Bupp at [email protected].
Bupp states, “What harm would attending do, these seminars are free, very informative, and might just save your life.”