Staff retire after years of service to MCPS

As the 2016-2017 school year comes to an end, PHS students time with several staff members has come to an end. The staff members include counselors Mr. James Cappuccilli, Ms. Sarah Pavlik, math teacher Mrs. Sharon Moore, and Assistant Principal Mr. Richard LaRocca.

This year marks Cappuccilli’s 41st year working in a high school. He worked in South Carolina for 22 years and served in the marine corps for two years. He chose to come to Poolesville in search for a new community where he could help students, whom he describes as “the youth of today.”

He particularly remembers his first couple of weeks working at PHS, where he came into an AP Psychology class to speak to the students and found them particularly welcoming. Mr. Cappuccilli thoroughly enjoyed his time working at PHS and describes the students as extremely friendly and fun to work with.

“He was a very fun counselor to work with, and he always helped me when I was stressed,” says current Humanities junior Theresa Dollar.

Pavlik will be retiring after working in Montgomery County Public Schools for 33 years. She taught Psychology at Churchill High School and Watkins Mill High School for 11 years. Over 20 years ago, she became a school counselor and worked at Gaithersburg High School and went back to Watkins Mill High School before coming to PHS 12 years ago to become the Resource Counselor.

Pavlik and her husband decided that it was time for new adventures.

She explains that they look forward to spending more time at their house in Lewes, Delaware and will eventually move there full time.

Pavlik explains, “I plan to pursue my passion as a mixed media and quilt artist and my husband will be able to pursue his interest as a jazz musician. We are very excited to have more time each day for our personal interests as well as being able to travel the world.”

Junior Zoe Welch also adds, “I’m going to miss her. She was very helpful and friendly when I needed advice about internships and colleges.”

Moore will be retiring and moving with her husband to her new home in North Carolina after working at Poolesville High School for 17 years.

“I loved teaching at the school that my own three children attended. I have interacted with so many wonderful people — staff and students. I have been provided many opportunities to grow professionally and fortunate to have a great group of coworkers. I have also loved seeing my former students excel beyond PHS!” says Moore.

She believes it is time for change for both her and PHS, and plans to travel and enjoy time with family and friends.

Assistant principal Richard LaRocca will be retiring from MCPS to join Delone Catholic High School in McSherrystown, Pennsylvania as their Principal.

LaRocca began teaching at Monroe Catholic High School in Fairbanks, Alaska. He has been in MCPS since 1985 working as a teacher of Foreign Language and then as an administrator.