Ten student athletes take their skills to college

This year, ten of Poolesville High School’s athletes have been recruited to play their sport in college. Out of the eight million high school students currently participating in high school athletics, only 480,000 of them move on to compete at NCAA schools, according to the NCAA.

Division I athletes this year include Caroline Leng, a future volleyball player at the University of Pennsylvania, Filip Burnett, a soon to be soccer player for Saint Francis University, and Kathryn Creedon, who will be attending University of Maryland Baltimore County to play on the women’s soccer team. In addition, Meher Kaur will be a track and field walk-on athlete at the University of Richmond. Sophia Mense and Austin Nichols will both be playing Division III lacrosse at St. Mary’s College of Maryland and Depauw University, respectively. Colin Fisher will be playin football and Stephen Lang will be playing basketball at McDaniel College. Sachi Howson will be attending Middlebury College to play on the women’s soccer team, Sam Pavlick will be playing football at Salisbury University, and Ben Kaplan will join the swim team at Hamilton College.

Some athletes, such as Burnett, begin their recruitment process as early as freshmen year. As sophomore, junior, and senior year comes around, athletes have a lot more power and room in the recruitment process to contact and visit coaches, have coaches watch their games, make an athlete profile and a highlight video, and anything else to make them stand out.

An athlete is ultimately signing themselves into a four year contract, so selecting the right school is crucial and is determined by many factors.

Nichols describes his process by stating that “I looked at all of the Division III schools, then found the right academic fit and environment. Lacrosse was the next thing, because I wanted to find a school where I would be happy even without lacrosse.”

Creedon elaborates on this dream by adding that “Ever since I was little I knew I wanted to play soccer in college. I chose my college because the environment was amazing.”