Winter pep rally recap

The last spirit week of the year consisted of Tacky Tourists Tuesday, Black and Gold Wednesday, Terp Thursday, and class color Friday. As seniors carried the PHS spirit drum through the halls, eager masses filed into the gymnasium as the pep band played them in.

The pep rally had originally been planned to be outdoors, however, cloudy skies and the possibility of rain forced the pep rally indoors. As described by whole school Vice President Christina Zhang, “We knew that this was a possibility ahead of time, so in the SGA period … we voted whether we wanted to move the Pep Rally to Thursday or let it remain on Friday.”.

Rain or Shine, the Pep Rally was a success. Senior Ellie Creedon opened the pep rally for her last time with the National Anthem and despite several microphone malfunctions, her voice resonated throughout. Creedon’s performance was followed by the class of 2017’s final year cheer, carried out with the help of the PHS cheerleaders, including several of the Poms.

The Dance team took the stage with an assortment of KPOP, Sabrina Carpenter and EDM and the crowd went wild as seniors Anastasia Goldberg and Aja Drain’s finished the routine with a dance to Single Ladies by Beyonce.

Afterward, the Boms team, after a week of practice, provided a dance routine thanks to Poms Elizabeth Perelshteyn, Taylor Ramirez, Katie Morrow and Olivia Romano. The performance was followed by a promposal from senior Austin Nichols to freshman Aly Gotlewski.

“I had no idea anything was going to happen so I was very shook and my knees totally gave out,” said Gotlewski.

The Boms performance was definitely a hit with the crowd, and afterward, the members of Poolesville’s spring sports teams took turns on the stage. The girls and boys lacrosse captains were up first, introducing themselves and encouraging students to come to their upcoming senior nights. Next freshman, sophomore, junior and senior players of both lacrosse teams competed in a recycling war. The outdoor track captains entered next announced their future competitions and a wind sprint relay between classes. Members of the Coed and Boys volleyball teams followed with some peppering. Baseball, softball and tennis captains topped off the series of falcon athletic captains.

The feeling amongst the seniors was best described by Christina Zhang.

“Knowing this was my last pep rally was so bittersweet and I wanted to just soak [the pep rally] in and enjoy the whole experience,” Zhang stated.