Boys basketball falls during playoffs, Girls make it to West Sectional Finals

The Poolesville High School boys varsity basketball went into their first playoff game on Feb. 24th with a 7-16 record, having 2 wins more than the previous season. PHS’s boys started their season with a bang, seeing 2 wins in their first 3 games. Led by Coach Kenny Kramek, the boys presented some of their more entertaining games yet. The team won two of their games by 5 points or less, undoubtedly both nail-biting, edge-of-seat sitting games. They also brought home a win after an impressive overtime against Gaithersburg High School.

The boys team has undoubtedly grown marvelously over the past few seasons and their drive was present during their playoff match last Friday against Urbana High School. The boys stood their ground for much of the game, including holding the lead going into half-time, however fell short in a 55-48 loss.

The Lady Falcons finished their regular season with an astounding 21-4 record. The team, full of talents like senior Kenydi Cross and junior Erin Green, won some of their games by a whopping 20+ points. Their amazing season has lead them to lead Montgomery County girls varsity teams in overall records.

Following a jaw-dropping season, the girls prepared themselves for the Class 3A playoffs. Last Friday, the Lady Falcons ensured the continuation of their season with a win of nearly 30 points against Urbana High School. Following that crucial win, they traveled away to Damascus High School. The girls had previously faced Damascus twice that season alone, seeing one win and one loss. This next match would be anyone’s game. In the end, the Lady Falcons came out on top with a 46-32 success in Damascus. They won their ticket to the West Sectional Finals.

March 1st was a big night for the girls basketball team. They were set to play away against Manchester Valley. The girls put up a great fight, but saw the end to their season with a 53-34 defeat. Despite the loss, our Lady Falcons had one of their best seasons yet and are ready to perform even better next season.