Women’s march 2018 advocates for more women in political office

The second annual Women’s March took place on January 20th, 2018 in cities around the United States with sister rallies held in Canada, the United Kingdom, Italy, and more.
Women’s March is an entirely women-led movement established early last year that began with the 2017 March on Washington. The organization advocates for “bringing together people of all genders, ages, races, cultures, political affiliations, disabilities and backgrounds… to affirm our shared humanity and pronounce our bold message of resistance and self determination.”
In the midst of the US government shutdown, lasting from Jan. 20 – 22, hundreds of thousands of feminists all over the world participated in the Women’s March and spoke out against President Donald Trump. Protesters criticized his views on abortion, immigration, equality for women, rights for the LGBTQ community, and more.
At 11am, people gathered at the Reflecting Pool at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. for a rally followed by a march from the National Mall to Lafayette Park and the White House. Thousands of people participated in DC alone, wearing pink “Pussyhats” and carrying signs, commemorating the one year anniversary of the first march and Trump’s inauguration.
The theme for this years’ march was Power to the Polls and is intended to push women to vote, run for office, and rise to positions of authority.
“We are out here, we’re going to run for office, and we’re going to vote, and we’re going to march on Washington when we have to, and we’re going to march all across the country when we don’t agree with what’s happening,” said marcher Becky Gulden.
Caroline Clyne, a student at PHS and protester at the march on Washington, recounts her personal takeaway after participating in the march.
“Seeing everyone gathered was just really amazing. It was so empowering, the feeling of being a part of something bigger than myself. Standing for causes I believe in in this way was something I had never experienced before. I would definitely make a point of joining a march again and I would definitely recommend it to anyone in support of the cause.”
This movement has had a strong personal impact on women such as Gulden and Clyne and has received an abundance of attention from the public. Through the organization’s success in impacting millions, their goal is in reach: to empower people “to harness the political power of diverse women and their communities to create transformative social change.”
In organizing these marches, leaders hope to channel all of the energy and activism displayed at these events into future political victories in 2018.